Environmental awareness means responsibility
In addition to essential financial and business aspects, City Airport Bremen makes every effort to include a maximum amount of environmental measures in all its current planning.
To this day, thanks to mutual cooperation between the management of Bremen Airport, the Bremen government and the population in general, the balancing act between an ever-increasing demand for mobility, on the one hand, and compliance with environmental needs, on the other, has been mastered in innovative ways.
Major efforts are being made all around City Airport Bremen to meet the complex requirements of environmental protection. City Airport Bremen is implementing measures that mitigate the undesired impacts of aviation.
The focus here is on noise control in the areas around the airport. These include:
- restrictions on night-time flights
- no night-time flight operations at weekends
- a fees policy that gives preferential treatment to quiet aircraft
- nature protection walls in areas requiring special protection
Other measures that indicate responsibility and awareness for our environment:
- nature conservation for the welfare of the population and to comply with air security requirements
- biotope management in close collaboration with the ‘Ornithological and Small Mammals Institute’. Birds are kept away from the runway using biological techniques. Fertilisation can be dispensed with entirely.
- weed control is carried out using a special residue-free foam made from plants
- City Airport Bremen established the marketability of this product in extensive tests carried out between 1998 and 2005.
- In the southern part of the airport, a wooded area was created under the biotope management programme as a sanctuary for small game and birds.
- Water consumed by the airport is obtained by greening roofs (microclimate) provided with a layer of clay.
- De-icing in winter is carried out using a special agent developed by Bremen Airport. This substance is biodegradeable and residue-free.